Sunday, August 18, 2013

STAPLE SINGERS - WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN ?



Artist: The Staple Singers
Album: Will the Circle Be Unbroken?

Label: Vee Jay

Catalog: LP 5008
Year: 1969
Designer: not listed
Photographer: not listed
Grade: **** stars





By some odd coincidence I bought this album at a yard sale the same week Pops Staples died.  Not sure what that means in the overall scheme of things, but I've always thought it made for an interesting factoid.   Anyhow, I grew up with early/mid-'70s Staple Singers so anytime I stumble across something from their earlier catalog, I grab it. 

Clearly intended as a political and social statement, you certainly had to admit the shackle cover was arresting.  Hard to imagine anyone having the courage to slap something as controversial on an album cover in this politically correct environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment