Sunday, September 29, 2019

HAWKWIND - "ROAD HAWKS"

Artist: Hawkwind
Album Title:Road Hawks
Label: United Artists
Catalog: UAK 29919
Year: 1975
Genre: space rock
Grading: VG+ cover / VG+ LP
Concept: Barney Bubbles
Cover photo: not applicable
Grade: **** stars



I guess it's funny I own this album since I'm not a big Hawkwind/space rock fan.  In fact, I've probably only played this album three or four times in the 30 years I've owned it.  That said, I'm a big fan of the late English graphic artist Barney Bubbles who was the inspiration for this cover. 


Bubbles had previously designed a tour poster for Hawkwind and the band were so enamored with the work, they elected to adopted it for their 1975 album "Road Hawks". 

It may not be the prettiest cover I've ever encountered, but I just love the work's art deco feel.  

Rather than spending a lot of time on Bubbles' sad and troubled career, anyone interested can start with a nice career overview on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_Bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment